U-Turn Educational Program
Get back on track – Tackle your substance problems head-on
Drug and Alcohol Program
The U-Turn Education Program is targeted at those struggling with increasing alcohol or drug dependency. The program aims to improve your education, resilience to substance use, improve your physical and mental health, and encourage you to take positive action. U-Turn is delivered via an App available in both the Apple and Android stores. It is available in a “lite” version which offers 4 weeks’ worth of education, health tracking/check-in, meditation and the ability to request individual video counselling.
If you require immediate help, please call Directline, the confidential and free hotline on 1800 888 236.
To find out more about the U-Turn Program contact us on 1800 270 875 for a confidential discussion .
This service is free to ETU members, their families, and all Victorian union members.
Duration: The App is available in lite version with 4 weeks content provided. If you wish to enquire about video counselling and opening up the additional weeks from week 5 – 12, you may enquire via the App or call us on 1800 270 875.
Location: Online via app
This program is for anyone hoping to stop or reduce their drinking or substance use, or for any person seeking additional information and education around their drinking and substance use. It is also a program for anyone who has produced a positive drug or alcohol test result at work.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- Have you ever used drugs or alcohol for longer than planned?
- Have you ever used drugs or alcohol when you didn’t plan/want to?
- Have family and/or friends ever questioned your drinking or substance use?
- Do you ever regret your drinking or substance use?
- Have you ever experienced blackouts as a result of your drinking or substance use?
- Do you ever experience guilt or shame as a result of your actions whilst drinking or using substances?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are not alone, and this program may be for you.
How long does the program run for?
The full programme is a 12 week programme delivered via the U-Turn App which includes the following:
- Weekly one-to-one video counselling
- Education tutorials including assigned written work
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Daily Meditation
- Mood Tracker
When downloaded to your phone, the App is available in a lite version which opens access to weeks 1-4 of the above and allows the user to request one-to-one video counselling. It is via this counselling we are able to work with you to assess your needs and requirements to continue counselling and open up the additional weeks available on the App.
What happens after the program if I still require help?
Consultation after the completion of the program may lead to referrals to other service providers such as rehabilitation centres or family counsellors.
Eligibility – Support Services
To access Support Services for free, you must be:
- A financial ETU member (includes suspended up to six (6) months)
- An ETU member for more than three (3) months
- A family member (of an eligible ETU member) who fits the definition
For more information read our Eligibility Policy
Other union members: please call 1800 270 875 to discuss your participation in the program.