Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for employers of electricians
Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) has introduced Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for the electrical trade. From July 2022, electricians must complete a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course within the 2 years before renewing their licence. But you don’t have to sweat it, as they can do their CPD course for free at the new state-of-the-art Centre for U training facility, with the CPD Skills Maintenance course taking just 8 hours.
The Centre for U can deliver and cater to groups of electricians (12 minimum) through the locations listed below or we can deliver on site preferred by the employer through our mobile service.
CPD Mobile Service Employer EnquiryIf you're interested in organising a Group Session or a mobile session on your worksite, please leave your details below and we'll be in touch to discuss available dates and times.
- North Melbourne – The Centre for U, Level 3, 200 Arden St, North Melbourne
- Clayton – Building 2, Level 3, 195 Wellington Rd, Clayton (Future Energy Skills)
- Geelong – 67 Gheringhap Street, Geelong
- Morwell – 42 Buckley Street, Morwell
- Maryborough – 170 High Street, Maryborough (Future Energy Skills)
- Shepparton – 152-200 Fryers Street, Shepparton (GOTAFE)
Remote learning – 30 minutes
Topic 1 – Your Responsibilities
- Watch 3 videos
- Complete 3 x mandatory multi choice quizzes
In-class session – 7.5 hours
- Topic 1 – Your Responsibilities
- Topic 2 – Major Changes to Acts, Regulations and Standards
- Topic 3 – Safe Isolation (practical activity)
- Topic 4 – Mandatory Testing (practical activity)
7.30am start time, with 12.00pm lunch (provided)
What to bring
- Bring your own device (eg. laptop or tablet) or class one will be available
- Digital or paper copies of the following (or class one will be available):
- AS/NZS 3000 Wiring Rules
- AS/NZS 4836 Safe working on or near low voltage electrical installations and equipment
- AS/NZS 3017 Electrical Installations – Verification Guidelines
- Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019
- For practical activity, you must wear:
- Long sleeve top
- Enclosed footwear
- Safety eye wear
- Recommended that you wear:
- Long pants
- Electrical gloves
- You are encouraged to bring
- digital/analogue IR&C tester
- LOTO kit
This course is designed as a ‘refresher’ of skills and knowledge for licensed electricians working in construction, industrial, commercial, and residential sites.
The course will support licensed workers to keep up to date with safety, regulatory, technical, and other changes relevant to the trade.
The course covers responsibilities of the licensed person and includes regulatory requirements, CoES obligations and supervision. Major changes in the Wiring Rules, SWMS and OH&S are addressed, including the importance of holding a copy of the Wiring Rules.
A large element of the course is refreshing the knowledge and skills to carry out safe isolation and mandatory testing practical tasks.
The Centre for U – RTO 22719
To demonstrate your understanding of the course, a range of methods will be used including the following:
- Direct observation/practical demonstration/skills check
- Oral questioning
- Quiz / knowledge checks
- Teacher-led discussion
- Peer to peer discussions
There is no formal assessment for this course, satisfactory completion of all tasks is required.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), does not apply to CPD courses.
After satisfactorily completing all the tasks required in the CPD course, your CPD course completion status will be forwarded to Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) for your licence renewal.
As an approved ESV training provider, CPD training at Centre for U is free to all ETU members and all electricians. Must hold a valid Victorian electrical licence that is due to be renewed from 1 July 2023
Your electricians need to bring their Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) – A Grade Electrician’s licence, with an expiry date that indicates their licence is due for renewal within 2 years, and a photo ID.
At the commencement of the course, they will need to present the following on the day for sighting:
- A Grade Licence, clearly indicating expiry date, or their ESV CPD Letter notifying of course requirements
- Drivers licence, passport or other forms of photo ID
For further information go to the ESV CPD website here.