Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for electricians
Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) has introduced Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for the electrical trade. From July 2022, as an electrician you must complete a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course within the 2 years before renewing your licence. But you don’t have to sweat it, as you can do your CPD course for free at the new state-of-the-art Centre for U training facility, with the CPD Skills Maintenance course taking just 8 hours.
As an approved ESV training provider, CPD courses at Centre for U are free to ETU members and all electricians.
For LEI licence holders: For LEI CPD courses (webpage coming soon).
For REL licence holders: For REL CPD courses click here.
For employers: The Centre for U can deliver to groups of electricians through the locations listed below or we can deliver on site through our mobile service. For more info click here.
- North Melbourne – The Centre for U, Level 3, 200 Arden St, North Melbourne
- Clayton – Building 2, Level 3, 195 Wellington Rd, Clayton (Future Energy Skills)
- Geelong – 67 Gheringhap Street, Geelong
- Morwell – 42 Buckley Street, Morwell
- Maryborough – 170 High Street, Maryborough (Future Energy Skills)
- Shepparton – 152-200 Fryers Street, Shepparton (GOTAFE)
Remote learning – 30 minutes
Topic 1 – Your Responsibilities
- Watch 3 videos
- Complete 3 x mandatory multi choice quizzes
In-class session – 7.5 hours
- Topic 1 – Your Responsibilities
- Topic 2 – Major Changes to Acts, Regulations and Standards
- Topic 3 – Safe Isolation (practical activity)
- Topic 4 – Mandatory Testing (practical activity)
7.30am start time, with 12.00pm lunch (provided)
What to bring
- Bring your own device (eg. laptop or tablet) or class one will be available
- Digital or paper copies of the following (or class one will be available):
- AS/NZS 3000 Wiring Rules
- AS/NZS 4836 Safe working on or near low voltage electrical installations and equipment
- AS/NZS 3017 Electrical Installations – Verification Guidelines
- Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019
- For practical activity, you must wear:
- Long sleeve top
- Enclosed footwear
- Safety eye wear
- Recommended that you wear:
- Long pants
- Electrical gloves
- You are encouraged to bring
- digital/analogue IR&C tester
- LOTO kit
This course is designed as a ‘refresher’ of skills and knowledge for licensed electricians working in construction, industrial, commercial, and residential sites.
The course will support licensed workers to keep up to date with safety, regulatory, technical, and other changes relevant to the trade.
The course covers responsibilities of the licensed person and includes regulatory requirements, CoES obligations and supervision. Major changes in the Wiring Rules, SWMS and OH&S are addressed, including the importance of holding a copy of the Wiring Rules.
A large element of the course is refreshing the knowledge and skills to carry out safe isolation and mandatory testing practical tasks.
The Centre for U – RTO 22719
To demonstrate your understanding of the course, a range of methods will be used including the following:
- Direct observation/practical demonstration/skills check
- Oral questioning
- Quiz / knowledge checks
- Teacher-led discussion
- Peer to peer discussions
There is no formal assessment for this course, satisfactory completion of all tasks is required.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), does not apply to CPD courses.
After satisfactorily completing all the tasks required in the CPD course, your CPD course completion status will be forwarded to Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) for your licence renewal.
As an approved ESV training provider, CPD training at Centre for U is free to all ETU members and all electricians. Must hold a valid Victorian electrical licence that is due to be renewed from 1 July 2023
You need to bring your Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) – A Grade Electrician’s licence, with an expiry date that indicates your licence is due for renewal within 2 years, and a photo ID.
At the commencement of the course, you will need to present the following on the day for sighting:
- A Grade Licence, clearly indicating expiry date, or your ESV CPD Letter notifying of course requirements
- Drivers licence, passport or other forms of photo ID
For further information go to the ESV CPD website here.
When do you need to do CPD Skills Maintenance course?
|A Grade Licence Expiry Date||CPD Course Date|
|July 2023||CPD Course- July ‘22 to June ‘23|
|August 2023||CPD Course- July ‘22 to July ‘23|
|September 2023||CPD Course- July ‘22 to August ‘23|
|October 2023||CPD Course- July ‘22 to September ‘23|
|November 2023||CPD Course- July ‘22 to October ‘23|
|December 2023||CPD Course- July ‘22 to November ‘23|
|January 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to December ‘23|
|February 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to January ‘24|
|March 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to February ‘24|
|April 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to March ‘24|
|May 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to April ‘24|
|June 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to May ‘24|
|July 2024||CPD Course- July ‘22 to June ‘24|
|August 2024||CPD Course- August ‘22 to July ‘24|
|September 2024||CPD Course- September ‘22 to August ‘24|
|October 2024||CPD Course- October ‘22 to September ‘24|
|November 2024||CPD Course- November ‘22 to October ’24|
|December 2024||CPD Course- December ‘22 to November ’24|
|January 2025||CPD Course- January ‘23 to December ‘24|
|February 2025||CPD Course- February ’23 to January ‘25|
|March 2025||CPD Course- March ’23 to February ’25|
|April 2025||CPD Course- April ’23 to March ‘25|
|May 2025||CPD Course- May ’23 to April ‘25|
|June 2025||CPD Course- June ’23 to May ‘25|
|July 2025||CPD Course- July ’23 to June ‘25|
|August 2025||CPD Course- August ’23 to July ‘25|
|September 2025||CPD Course- September ’23 to August ‘25|
|October 2025||CPD Course- October ’23 to September ‘25|
|November 2025||CPD Course- November ’23 to October ‘25|
|December 2025||CPD Course- December ’23 to November ‘25|